Wednesday, August 1, 2012

It's a Good August Muffin!

Hi faithful followers!!

Ok I know this isn't that salmon recipe that I promised - but don't worry you will love these.


I can't believe that I posted only a couple of times in July - I can't and I can.

As I explained in the last blog things are really starting to heat up - and as we are now in August things are going full speed ahead.

Between our two full time jobs, Dan and I have been busy juggling wedding planning (which I think we can both say we are DONE with), moving, packing, selling, attending weddings, planning parties and still spending time with those we love, we are busy.

One of our beautiful engagement pictures from our photographer, Phillip - we love cooking together

As this weekend approaches Dan and I are both anxious for our moving sale that we are holding at his house. Since our apartment is a quaint 620 square feet, a lot of the furniture that we have been saving up for years, just isn't going to make the cut. We could have a lot of the furniture - but we would also lose a lot of our mobility and comfort. So the furniture gets to find a new home at the moving sale. If you want to come out and support us - let me know and I will give you all the details!

One of Rebecca and Phillip's engagement pictures that I took - glad photography runs in our family

After the moving sale the following week has my cousin Rebecca's wedding (YAY!!)! Dan and I are so excited for Rebecca and Phillip to tie the knot - we have had a lot of fun hanging out with them and the cool part is - I will be photographing their nuptials!


The day after their big day comes the big move for Dan! I can't believe it is already here - and as nervous and apprehensive as we both are - we are feeling super blessed!

A couple weeks later comes my second bridal shower and our countdown to only one month prior to the big day! Everything literally is right around the corner.


My biggest stress relievers in all these crazy times are:
Prayer - it's awesome to see God's fingertips along our pathways
Baking - baking therapy is as good as retail therapy in my book
Reading - I love the little book club that Dan and I are a part of - the newest book "Odd Thomas"!
Coffee - My morning cup of joe is fundamental to my peace filled morning

Today and Yesterday I indulged in all four of these things.

I made these muffins yesterday and enjoyed them yesterday and today.

The taste is that of carrot cake, can you think of anything better than something that tastes like cake for breakfast?? I can't.

The real name of these muffins is It's a Good Morning Muffin - but since I am nervous about how August is going to shape up, I renamed them optimistically to It's a Good AUGUST Muffin.

So here's a muffin to a good great exceptional August!


It's a Good August Muffin
Adapted from Emeril Lagasse's recipe
Serves 12

Ingredients
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup Splenda
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups finely grated carrot
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup dark raisins
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and chopped
2 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray 12 muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray, set aside. In a large bowl sift together flour, sugar, Splenda, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir in the carrot, raisins, pecans, coconut and Granny Smith apple to the dry ingredients. In a small bowl whisk together eggs, oil, applesauce and vanilla extract until smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until batter is just blended. Spoon equal amounts of batter into wells. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until muffins are golden brown and spring back when they are touched. Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. Enjoy, and relax this month is going to be alright!


P.S. Each of these little carrot cake delights comes in at: 263 calories, 14.7 grams of fat and 4.2 grams of fiber! Happy August!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds so yummy! I love muffins full of produce :)

    And yes, totally get being DONE! When you're this close to the finish line, all that starts to matter is getting married! So happy for you guys. Almost there! ♥

    Bethany
    www.happyhomemaker.me

    ReplyDelete